Saturday 6 February 2010

Taistelu alkakoon: fight the boredom

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of boredom is "the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest". The reasons for boredom may vary, and some people are more prone to it than others.


Well, guess what. I'm bored to death by bored people. People who sit and complain about being bored. Yes, I admit that I have committed the crime myself on several occasions, but I will try to stop now. Why? Basically, life is too short. There are lots of things out there that we miss out on because we are too bored to leave the house. Sometimes one might need a little push in the right direction, but at the end of the day it is up to each and everyone to take responsibility for their own lives. The cause of the boredom might be deep and the roots may lie in an illness (depression) or other problems, then it is time to ask for help. The annoying people are those who are bored for the sake of being bored, wanting to draw attention to themselves and have others solve all their problems, not making the slightest effort to be happy.

Fighting away boredom is not difficult. You just need to set your mind to it, think of something pleasant to do and just do it as a certain company would put it. Here are a few tips of things that people could do when they feel ready to jump through the window because they are bored:
  • read a book: preferably one that makes you laugh. Or watch a film, go to the cinema.
  • do something you have never done before. If you hate sports, go to a football game. If the name Kandinsky doesn't ring a bell, go to the art museum. Try dancing tango.
  • use your creativity: paint, write, cook, knit. Everyone has hidden talents. 
  • go for a run. Those who exercise say that it gives a big kick. 
  • dye your hair pink. At least it's not boring.
  • jump on a train and see where it gets you. 
  • laugh with friends. 
"There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever." [Viggo Mortensen]

 What do you usually do to get rid of boredom?

3 comments:

Letitia said...

I have many things I want to do but don't have time, so when I'm bored, I mentally run down the list until I find one that gives me a pleasure signal and then I do it. Also, if restricted, I create a fantasy in my head. See me ThePowerOfBoredom.com for more about that.

Zsuzsi said...

That mental list sounds like a really good idea! Thanks for the tip, and the website seems really interesting.

Zsuzsi said...

That mental list sounds like a really good idea! Thanks for the tip, and the website seems really interesting.