Tuesday 22 April 2014

"Yummy" - or a note on self-development

I have a friend, I have known him for a decade or so [gosh, time really flies]. Once he commented on my usage of the word "yummy". He noted that I have not changed my vocabulary at all. For the past decade. That thought was a bit sad, after all, I have graduated from a UK uni. I have worked in international environments. My English is not the best or the most creative, but I do feel that it's slightly above the "yummy"-level. My doubts started to grow. Maybe I have not developed my English? Maybe I haven't developed any language skills whatsoever? Maybe I speak like a 5-year old? Maybe I as a person still behave like a toddler?

You get the point - at the end the whole self-doubt thing got more and more ridiculous. Nonetheless, I do believe it's a good idea to actively develop one's skills and personality. There are so many interesting ways to do this.

Back to the word "yummy". After giving it some thought, I realized that the word delicious has many synonyms, such appetizing, tasty, exquisite, delightful and enjoyable. Yet, the word yummy is a good word. It's short, it's concise, it gets straight to the point.


No comments: