Monday 25 July 2011

...in a world that's meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...

It’s Monday again with all that it means – grey skies and work. The weekend was quite OK, I haven’t slept so much in a long time. Due to no internet I haven’t been able to update the blog about all those important things that have been going on. Although – to be quite honest – life with less internet is both enjoyable and well-needed.

 

Norway. What happened in Norway was a terrible tragedy, a horrible political (?) and ideological statement directed at people who had no guilt. A lot has been said and written about this tragedy, and I doubt I can contribute in any way. Nonetheless – my thoughts go out to the friends and families. A tragedy like this shakes the whole society: and even though a whole society cannot be held responsible for the crazy actions of one individual, it’s up to all its members (not only in Norway, by the way) to actively fight against hatred. The world isn’t always a pretty place, but everyone can contribute to making a little bit better.

 

This weekend I also read a book about a woman who started studying Italian. And of course it inspired me – think about it, learning a language for the sheer fun of it, to develop as a person and to find some kind of meaning in life. Then it hit me – that’s what I’m doing already. All the time. Maybe one more language wouldn’t give my life much more meaning, perhaps the right thing to do would be something that’s actually challenging and different. (while pondering upon this thought I was jumping with excitement after finding a book in Serbo-Croatian at the library). Cooking could be nice alternative, or mountain climbing. Or knitting – that was such a pain in school, so I’m sure it’d be a challenging enterprise.

 

By the way – can you imagine any better way of spending a Sunday afternoon than lying in bed with your feet on the pillow, sipping on tea and reading about something interesting?

 

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Two things: First, I've been learning some Serbo-Croatian and I LOVE it. It's like Russian, but with a cool south Slavic twist on it. It makes me happy. :)

Second, you should definitely learn to knit! I love knitting (and crocheting). Plus you can make cute clothes for yourself if you knit.