Thursday 5 January 2012

Things That Annoyed Me Today

I’ve been feeling  grumpy since I woke up at 6.45 am. The prospect of going to work wasn’t all that fun – the countdown for my time there has begun, and even though I’m looking forward to it, I’m in a moment where most of thoughts are revolving around a very disturbing “wtf am I going to do next?”. Almost all available jobs on this island seem to be in health care, nobody needs a wannabe-polyglot with a couple of academic degrees. Riikka wrote about this, she said: “Enhän minä ole oikein mitään….Tällainen joka ei oikein vielä osaa mitään mutta haluaisi kovasti tehdä kaikkea.” (I’m not really anything … one, who doesn’t really know how to do anything yet, but who’d really like to do a lot of things). If I knew what to do, I’d just start my own enterprise and get it over with. However, I’m relieved by the fact that I’m not alone. My best friend is in the same situation. Maybe we should combine our skills and talents and energies and motivation and do something great together. Hell yeah, all of you can join us!

Another thing that annoys is me the attitude some people have in political debates. Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote the famous words (sometimes attributed to Voltaire): “"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". It’s some kind of a basic rule, for me at least. Opinions can be debated, but not people. And it’s just so annoying when someone throws a “you fu**ing communist” (or even better, Stalinist), when you voice your opinions. Yes, you can disagree with me, but don’t assume you can categorize me and put me in a box, just because you’ve heard an opinion or two on some specific issue. 

On the brighter side: tomorrow is a public holiday, so TT and I will be going to… dada… Estocolmo.

No comments: