Monday 5 October 2009

Love conquers... what?

I just bumped into an article about a couple who has been in a long distance relationship for the last 10 years. Say what you will but that is completely crazy. I'm usually the one supporting people to get into this type of relationships: if, for whatever reason, it is not possible to be in the same place right now, doing it long distance can work. But you need to have a plan, a final goal that you are both aiming for. We were going through this for almost two years before I moved to Spain: at times it was pure torture, at others- fairly easy. I was happy to have a supportive family (poor students can't really afford that amount of travelling). We both had our time to think about what we really wanted from the relationship. And now I'm here, in Valencia. Careerwise it might not have been the best move, but for me there were really no other options.   

 

But, still 10 years. And still without knowing when they will live on the same continent?  It might work for a very few people, and if these two persons that the article was about are happy, then good for them, the love they must feel for each other must be exceptional because they are giving up so much: physical closeness, everyday life, sharing family and friends, maybe having a family.  And what if it doesn't work out in the end? What if you've spent ten years of your life waiting on someone who is on the other side of the planet and then you get nothing, what do you do then? Is it really worth it?

 

 

3 comments:

Le Hamster Ruso said...

My girlfriend is brazilian. She lives near Porto Alegre, at more than 10.000 km from me.

Zsuzsi said...

That is far away. I hope you will get to see her soon! The good thing about these relationships is that once you get to be close to the other person, you really enjoy it and you appreciate just being with them.

Le Hamster Ruso said...

En febrero iré dos semanas y me presentará a sus padres jejeje