Wednesday 10 June 2009

Fit List

One more blog entry without photos, but who cares really?

 

 

For a while now I have been feeling like a balloon ready to explode at any minute, and it has affected my mood and self-esteem in a most disturbing fashion. I'm not going to go into details, because the important thing is not to think about the problems but how to solve them.

 

The below "fit list" is the summary of various points that I think might help me reach some goals…

 

 

1) Exercise: easy. 12,000 steps a day is what it takes for an average person to maintain his/her weight. One does not need to be Sherlock Holmes to realise that the average office worker does not reach that number by sitting on his/her bum all day long. So 12,000 steps a day it is. Running four times a week (wednesday, friday, saturday and sunday). Pilates on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. During the week between 7.30 pm and 8.30 pm, which means that at those times I will be unavailable for cooking, cleaning and Veronica Mars. That hour is going to be holy from now on, and nobody is allowed to suggest any temptations.

 

2) I have noticed that it is quite fun to do exercise but as soon as my rhythm gets interrupted by anything at all (parents visiting to having a bad day), it is difficult to get back on track. I need to find a way to keep going even when I don't feel like it.  But where on earth do you find the motivation for this?

 

3) 3 meals a day: breakfast at 9.45 a.m, lunch at 13.30 and dinner at… Maybe a snack at 18.00 depending on dinner. Scheduling my meals, especially dinner, is a complicated task due to culture differences. I would prefer to have dinner at 19.00 the latest, but due to Spanish standards it is completely impossible, so I can choose to have dinner alone or have it way too late. *

 

4) Colours, calcium and proteins. Colourful food usually means vegetables and fruit, apparently different colours all have different health advantages. Calcium is not only good for the bones but it also helps weight loss, and proteins are important for the muscles. I'm especially having problems with the proteins and should try eating more fish, eggs, lean meat and dairy products.

 

5) Drinking matters: tea effectively flushes your system, soft drinks make you bloated, alcohol kills braincells, coffee wakes you up, milk is good for the bones and water keeps you alive.

 

6) Rest… rest does not necessarily refer to sleep, it can also refer to a long walk that clears your head, a relaxing foot bath or literary escapism in its best form.

 

7) Pampering: massages, baths, intellectual stimuli and aesthetical inspiration.  

No comments: