Saturday 31 January 2015

My Meatless Month

31 days. 31 days without meat. Was it difficult? Not really. The reason I decided to spend one month of my life without eating meat was not very altruistic. Some people I know are vegetarians or vegans with a cause. I am your average absent-minded and indecisive female who just wanted to practice her self-discipline a little bit. As I said, it was not hard. Mainly because I don't like meat so much.

Anyhow, I do recommend this experiment to people. By excluding something from your diet, you need to be much more creative with the remaining foods. (The assumption here being that a) one cooks, and b) one cooks other dishes than pasta and veggies). There are so many delicious ingredients out there to be discovered. In this case, I re-discovered beans, spinach, mushrooms, porridge and much more. I have also stilled my cravings with sushi. A newly discovered treat is ginger tea. 

Cravings. I thought that I'd have cravings for meat. A couple of times it did indeed happen. The first time I really wanted to eat my favorite Indian dish, Chicken Jalfrezi. The second time I was about to stick my fork into a plate filled with the Swedish delicacy pyttipanna. The almost a storm intervened. So, I can proudly say that I managed to stay away from meat for a month. The most important result is that I did it. I don't feel physically healthier or fitter. My skin has gone crazy. The challenge was not so great to begin with.

But I did it. (However, I would probably never manage to stop eating cheese for a month). 

No comments: