Wednesday 1 May 2013

Objects of Annoyance–Or the Day She Decided To Let the Words Flow

Is there anything more annoying that a Wi-Fi-connection that refuses to work even though there are 5 bars showing and no yellow warning signs anywhere to be seen?

I had planned on doing some reading. With this complete technological failure, I’m instead forced to look at old photos and turn inwards, into reflective mode. The coffee tastes bitter and I’m looking forward to a proper coffee machine and real coffee. This ferry and the people around me are so familiar. There’s the feeling of knowing what to expect. The language spoken makes complete sense. I seldom complain about Slovaks and their use of English, but the service on the bus from Bratislava to Vienna airport was horrendous. There was a slight misunderstanding between the bus driver and me when I was boarding the bus. We spoke English.  When he started to mutter something about stupid foreigners not knowing how to speak Slovak, I gave him a long and wistful glance. Hey, Mister. Just because I don’t speak Slovak, it doesn’t mean that I don’t understand what you are saying.

Relating to my previous post, going home always makes me start planning things. This is positive, I suppose. Especially since I haven’t been doing that much planning lately.  Things I want to plan is the work out regime, the detox regime, studies and stuff. Really, I do like the word regime. I also want to plan my time so that I can get up at five, read the news and sip on morning coffee in peace, go for walks. This is what happens when you read too many books about the perfect life, or the writer’s life. It’s one or the other. Anyhow, I miss my reading. I miss reading the news and books and articles. It has only been uni reading lately. At this advanced age I’m starting to notice that I have an affection for short stories – the glimpses they catch into moments of people’s lives. Short stories and photographs of random people – like these kids spending a typical Sunday afternoon in April in Bratislava.

DSC05638

DSC05629

 

And then the internet started to work.

No comments: