Thursday 28 May 2009

Screaming for Pilates

Pilates is a wonderful activity that tones you, makes you concentrate and even your equilibrium is supposed to get better. It stretches and lengthens your muscles, but it doesn't make them grow. It's easy because all you need is a mat to lie on, although other tools (balls, bands, dumbbells) can be used to make the session more entertaining and varied. Although the main focus of pilates lies on the core, the rest of the body also gets a good workout. Its slowness might make it look like a piece of cake, but it's far from easy. The slowness equals cncentration. It's essential to focus on getting the exercise right, to breathe correctly and to use the right muscles. When you get it right, you will also feel it the next day.

 

I went to pilates class at my local gym before I got tired of going to the gym (a 5-min walk is just toooo much…), my goal now is to do it 2-3 times a week at home, although I could do it every day. The lack of a good teacher is a minus, but the now I can at least schedule my own sessions. Usually they are longer than the 45 minute classes at the gym, and I get to concentrate on the part of the body that needs the most exercise. I have a ball, a couple of good books and dumbbells. Getting some bands would be useful, too.

 

So pilates is definitively one of the major points in my get-fit list (a while ago I decided that the ideal get-fit combination consists of pilates, boxing and pole dancing + running, but try to find a place that offers classes in all three). This list still needs a few final touches before publishing, but getting fit is exactly what I need. My back is killing me at times, this morning my jeans didn't fit and the scales are showing a weight that has exceeded my self-imposed limit. I am fully aware of the fact that I'm not overweight, but having a fat and traumatic background, I want to stop this before it's too late. Besides, healthy living hasn't really killed anyone before.  

 

So now, pilates it is when I get home tonight.

No comments: