A lot of people seem to concentrate on the things they are bad at, instead of focusing on the things they do well and taking advantage of those. If you know what you are good at, life will be a lot easier. Not only will it boost your self-esteem, but combined with the things you love doing, it could also be essential for finding a job that you love. There’s quite a lot of material on this topic out there, so I’m not going to write a long post on it (if you’re interested you could visit this site for instance), and I’m most definitely not going to play career advisor. So, let’s just try to feel good about ourselves today. Tell me, what five things are you very good at? (the comment box is all yours). Go on, brag!!
My list would probably look like this:
- languages. Languages are just a lot of fun really, but the reason I learn them well is because I put great expectations on myself: nothing but perfection will do. Learning a language is a very rewarding process, because very little is required to measure the progress.
- learning. Being a curious person by nature, I learn a lot of things which can be useful. However, more than the result, I enjoy the process of learning. Finding imformation, analysing it and using various strategies to learn it.
- "reading" people: understanding their behaviour and motives. Being able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is not always easy, because you really feel what they are going through, but it is a rewarding experience in the end.
- adapting to new situations and people: life is a good teacher. Funny, strange, scary and sad experiences all give you the ability to cope with almost any kind of situation. Furthermore, I’m quite an easygoing person, who doesn’t require a lot to be satisfied. Sleeping under a tree in Poland (in the rain) was more like a funny adventure than a nightmare...
- looking at things from the bright side. Why not laugh and have a good time if you can? Sometimes life will treat you badly, but the only way to get out of those situations is to work hard, look for solutions, learn from your mistakes and concentrate on the good aspects of life. Self-pity will not take you anywhere.