Monday 27 December 2010

Itkupotkuraivarit

The week between Christmas and New Year’s is always a difficult one. Basically, too many emotions are squeezed into seven days and the result is usually a what the Finns call an itkupotkuraivari (complete loss of self control- yes, I had to use that word because it’s quite funny). I’m still eagerly waiting for the day when frustration will turn into serenity.

As soon as I stop taking care of myself, everything starts going downhill. It took years to realise that the whole entity that is known as "me" works best when it’s being given proper food, when there is some exercise involved and when there’s something exciting to look forward to. If there aren’t any interesting plans, then make some quick. As soon as the brain receives warnings about "potential boredom", it goes into itkupotkuraivari-mode. Without fail.

It’s been difficult to find any inspiration lately. The most interesting thing I have managed to cook is a boiled egg, plans for the future are running havoc in my head and I’m completely unable to grasp them. I’m trying to come up with a good plan for my own fitness and wellbeing, but deciding on the goals is tough. What is it that I want to achieve? No idea. The lingering thought of achievement is always there. There has to be a reason, not "just because". At least I found a few interesting uni courses for summer: if and when everything else fails, political science will surely brighten your day!

Speaking of uni: the other day I realised that I’ve done 1/3 of my BAand 1/4 of my MA, and I really didn’t know whether I should have laughed or cried.

2 comments:

knickknacks said...

What an [appropriate] long word! I know that feeling alright! Hopefully, things will be clearer once the year begins!

Zsuzsi said...

It really is appropriate, isn't it? :)Yeah, I think it'll be ok... things tend to get clearer by themselves if you give it time...