Tuesday 15 November 2011

Zuuuuumba

Wikipedia tells us: Zumba is a Latin-inspired dance fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez in Colombia during the 1990s. Zumba involves dance and aerobic elements. Zumba's choreography incorporates hip-hop, samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts, and some Bollywood and belly dance moves. Squats and lunges are also included.

Yesterday I decided to try zumba: judging by people’s status updates on facebook, this is a popular form of exercise and it also seems to be a lot of fun. Well, it was fun – even for someone who’s got two left feet and whose coordination is below zero. I’ve never been a good dancer, jumping up and down on the dance floor in a crowded nightclub is the closest I’ve come to dancing. Being in a room full of women of all ages and sizes, I didn’t feel quite as self-conscious as I do when wearing skimpy clothes at a disco.

I can definitely imagine doing this again, even though zumba is far from a killer-workout, because I feel that a workout program should be both fun and varied. Normally I focus on strength training, running and yoga, but will try to squeeze in the occasional zumba session to add some fun to life.

 

No comments: