Saturday 30 August 2014

Tidig gryning [SWE: Early Dawn]

Tonight's translation finds its inspiration close to home. Edith Södergran was a Swedish-speaking Finnish poet who lived and wrote in the first decades of the 20th century. Her career, as well as her life, was a short one. She died at the age of 31. She is probably the most known Finnish poet and one of the most important Swedish-speaking modernists.

Below you will find two of her poems in Swedish - Tidig gryning and Vierge moderne - as well as my translations of them. The first poem I find soothing, there is something hopeful about it. The other one, I believe, is a good description of womanhood and the contradictory aspects and the complex whole of the self. 


Tidig gryning

Några sista stjärnor lysa matt. 
Jag ser dem ur mitt fönster. Himlen är blek, 
man anar knappast dagen som börjar i fjärran. 
Det vilar en tystnad utbredd över sjön, 
det ligger en viskning på lur mellan träden, 
min gamla trädgård lyssnar halvförstrött 
till nattens andetag, som susa över vägen. 

*******

A few final stars shine dimly.
I see them from my window. The sky is pale, 
one barely senses the day that begins in the distance. 
A silence is resting over the lake,
a whisper is hiding between the trees,
my old garden is listening half-distractedly
to the breaths of the night, rustling over the road


Vierge moderne

Jag är ingen kvinna. Jag är ett neutrum. 
Jag är ett barn, en page och ett djärvt beslut, 
jag är en skrattande strimma av en scharlakanssol... 
Jag är ett nät för alla glupska fiskar, 
jag är en skål för alla kvinnors ära, 
jag är ett steg mot slumpen och fördärvet, 
jag är ett språng i friheten och självet... 
Jag är blodets viskning i mannens öra, 
jag är en själens frossa, köttets längtan och förvägran, 
jag är en ingångsskylt till nya paradis. 
Jag är en flamma, sökande och käck, 
jag är ett vatten, djupt men dristigt upp till knäna, 
jag är eld och vatten i ärligt sammanhang på fria villkor... 

********

I am no woman. I am a neuter. 
I am a child, a page and a bold decision,
I am a laughing ray of a scarlet sun...
I am a net for all gluttonous fishes,
I am a bowl for the honour of all women,
I am a step toward chance and ruin,
I am a leap into freedom and the self...
I am the whisper of the blood in a man's ear,
I am the shivers of the soul, the longing and the denial of the flesh,
I am an entrance sign to new paradises. 
I am a flame, seeking and jaunty, 
I am a water, deep but daring to your knees,
I am fire and water in an honest context on free terms... 

No comments: