Sunday 17 August 2014

August Writing Prompt #6: Self Care for Next Week

August Writing Prompt #6: Self Care is everything. Tell me about five things you can do this week to prioritize and treat yourself.

 What is self care? Going to the spa? Eating well? Cuddling? Reading a good book? Self care has many meanings, I usually prefer to use the term "self pampering". I think I'm quite good at it, lying on the sofa with a good book for a whole evening is not unusual. Having a tasty glass of wine also occurs now and then. I consider a good work out at the gym a luxury.

However, it is a good idea to be proactive about self pampering. It's so easy to forget about personal well-being when work is stressful, friends and family need attention and the clock is running too fast. So, I have made a list of five things I want to do this week to prioritize and treat myself.


  1. Go for a long run. There are few things in life that lead to such a feeling of freedom as a good run. The wind in your hair and the breeze in your face. The silence in the forest. The feeling of peacefulness. And the feeling of accomplishment afterwards. Running is good for the soul. 
  2. Go vegetarian and raw-foodish. Too much meat makes me grumpy. The funny thing about planning to eat in a certain way is that it requires some imagination and creativity. So, it is not only the diet that functions as a propel for well-being, the imagination and creativity add a lot to the levels of well-being. 
  3. Yoga. Just because.
  4. Dress up. I am one of those lucky people who feels comfortable without any make-up. I sometimes look like a troll, and I'm fine with that. If the people around me mind, then it is their problem, not mine. In general, I prefer to get my dose of beauty sleep instead of trying to cover up my face in the morning. It seems to help because usually my face looks OK. BUT (and of course there is a but) it is fun to dress up once in a while, and to wear make-up. So that's what I am going to do, at least once this week. 
  5. Keep writing. I have a story that I need to tell, and writing gives me so much happiness. Keep doing that. 


This is my contribution to the August Writing Prompt hosted by Brittany, Herself. You can find more information about it here

No comments: