Ok, most normal people get a room when they have to spend the night in a strange city, but if you’re a cheapie*, like me, then the following advice might come in handy.
- Dress wisely: if you are planning to sleep on a bench or in a chair, a long jacket can serve as a blanket, a thick sweater can be used as a hoodie, you can tie stuff with a scarf, etc.
- Bring food: starving in the middle of the night is not fun and usually everything is closed at the airport.
- Make sure you have some local currency for coffee and snack machines.
- Make sure that you have an adaptor for all your charges. The first time I was stuck at a Swiss airport my laptop died on me because they use different sockets here.
- For obvious reasons it might be a good idea to bring some personal hygiene products in your hand luggage.
- And the obvious: you probably won’t sleep all night, so bring lots of interesting things to do: books, games, company….
* a cheapie is a person who doesn’t want to spend money on hotels, and uses the pretext of studying as a cover up for the real state of affairs.
Hello from my own little corner at Zurich airport.