Saturday 15 March 2014

Interesting Day Ahead!

Today – on the 15th March – the first round of the presidential elections here in Slovakia will take place. I have with some interest followed the campaigns and seem to have notice that common themes are justice and strength.

The leader in the polls has been Robert Fico, the current prime minister and a member of the social democratic party. There are a few other candidates:

Though the race features 14 presidential candidates, the highest number in the country’s history, opinion polls suggest that the next president will be one of these five: Prime Minister Robert Fico supported by the ruling Smer; Andrej Kiska, a businessman and philanthropist; Milan Kňažko, an actor and leader of the Velvet Revolution; Radoslav Procházka, a former member of the Christian Democratic Movement (KDH); or Pavol Hrušovský, backed by the opposition People’s Platform.

Slovak Spectator, 12th March

The second round will be held on 29th March. Here are some of the campaign posters that I have managed to catch on camera  (reading the slogans has been so much fun).

P3010059P3010067P2140044

1 comment:

Natalie said...

OMG I love election posters so much. And it's even more amazing when I can understand foreign ones. The top one says "A strong president" and I can't read the bottom bits. The second one I'm not too sure of. Is it "the heart understands character"? The bottom one says "A strong president protects the people."

How'd I do with my limited knowledge of Slovak?