Thursday 24 December 2009

Merry Christmas!



I wish everyone a merry and peaceful Christmas!

 My favourite Christmas carrol is En etsi valtaa, loistoa, and it was written by Zacharias Topelius and composed by Jean Sibelius in the 19th century. Christmas is no longer what it used to to be, but to me, this song describes what it should be about. The below translation was found here.


 

I seek no gold or majesty, no pearl or shining gem,
but Lord above, I pray to Thee for peace on earth to men.
O Lord divine, my heart is Thine! Oh, let my thoughts to Thee incline!
I seek no pearl or shining gem but peace on earth to men.

Among the children, in our home, give blessed harmony.
The light that on the shepherds shone, oh, let it shine on me!
O Word of light, O truth and might, oh, shed thy blessing glad and bright.
O Word of grace and pardon free: give peace and harmony.

Let Christmas come to rich and poor, its brilliant light unfold
and with the wealth of God allure to heaven's streets of gold.
I long for Thee, I wait for Thee, O Lord, I need Thy charity!
May rich and poor alike abide in peace at Christmastide.

No comments: