Saturday 16 January 2010

Personal Challenge: Skip the Meat

I have had the idea for a while now, and finally I feel like I'm ready to embark on the journey of not eating any meat for two weeks.

Many of my friends are vegetarians, and they all have their different reasons for not eating meat. Some feel sorry for the animals, while others do not like the taste. My reason is quite simple: I want to see if my body feels better or worse without eating meat.




There are some basic rules that I will try to abide by:

  • Variety and creativity: skipping the meat does not mean that the food has to be boring. In fact, there are lots of yummy vegetarian dishes out there that are worth discovering. The above mentioned vegetarian friends are living proof of this!
  • It's just about the meat: dairy, eggs and fish are more than welcome. This is not an attempt to become a vegan!
  • Iron and protein: what worries me the most is not getting enough iron (iron deficiency is the greatest suspect for causing my tendency to faint in public places), so this is something I have to pay attention to (bring on the spinach and the lentils). Meat is a very good source of protein, but eating a lot of fish (and those lentils) should be ok too.

Wish me luck, everybody! And if anyone wants to join the challenge, you are more than welcome to do so!

2 comments:

Go Crazy said...

Moi :)

I've been a vegetarian since I was 14. Not a vegan, I just don't do meat, fish or poultry (eggs and dairy are fine). Don't worry about getting enough iron, if you know that beforehand, you'll already know to take that into account while cooking.

When I started it was such a novelty that even doctors were sure that I wouldn't get enough of everything I needed. After some time they run all sorts of tests - and what do you know? I was healthier than before.

So I'm not actually joining you, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that you find out just how nice it is to be without meat :)

Zsuzsi said...

Thank you for the support :)